Monday, 27 August 2007

Day 16 Utah Aeroplane rendezvous

Today's ride was the first without a decent lunch stop, so we headed off to the grocery store to stock up, then headed off to Moab airfield to meet Phil, Margie and Caroline. Arriving at the airfield, we couldn't see the aeroplane anywhere - a quick phone call later, and we discovered they had landed at Green River - so we gave chase, and quite quickly found the airfield in the middle of nowhere!!


We very quickly hit some great 2-track through river-beds, and up on top of canyons - awesome riding , and super scenery.




The trail passed under and over the Interestate 70, sometimes through small tunnels (bike room only), and sometimes under spectacular bridges;


The trail then headed away, towards Cat Canyon - awesome.

The trail then dipped into a dry sandy river bed for the next 30 or so miles, very twisty and great fun - the whole time we kept one eye on the weather - there was thunder and lightening in the not too distant - and we were very aware of the flash flood potential.

After meeting up for lunch on the roadside, we had a very leisurely ride on easy trails for the next 100 miles to Richfield.

GPS Log

3 comments:

  1. Hi,Russ,Phil,Caroline and rest of the team!Cheers, guys I'm discovering US looking through pictures in livejournal.Stories are great.What a great opportunity to travel and discover new lands,views and offroad riding.Russ,give a hug to Caroline from me.I miss you guys.Best wishes to cowboy Phil!I'm starting new job in september.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ. I am green with envy . What a marvelous trip.I have just read the first 16 days reports, so "GET ON WITH IT" so I can read some more. regards to you,Caroline (just arrived)and the good ol Yankee boys. Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard,
    Great to see you reading the blog - I'm glad you are enjoying it.
    We're currently contemplating doubling a couple of days up so that we get a 300 mile ride in a day - so as you mention - we will be "getting on with it"
    Don't forget to check the other sites:
    All the photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/russolivant
    and the US blog is at http://www.younggunsrealty.net/page3.html
    Russ

    ReplyDelete