Friday, 10 August 2007

Ready to go....

After arriving in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday night, Wednesday morning Phil and I were collected by John (Phil's brother) and Randon (from Hawaii) in the pickup truck and trailer.
Phil had a bit of business to attend to on route, so we left early (6am) from Phoenix, and headed to Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Whilst Phil did his business (!) we borrowed the Hummer from the airfield, and headed up to the ranch they are developing - remote and beautiful.
After a quick bite, we continued East for an overnight stop in Amarillo, Texas.

Mileage: 740 miles

Another early start (6am - and an hour change due the time zone) and we headed from Texas into Oklahoma, then through Arkansas, for an overnight stop in Memphis, Tennessee. And, no, we didn't see Elvis - I think he lives on a council estate in Essex anyhow !

Mileage: 7xx miles

This morning whilst I was watching the news/weather, I found it amusing that the weatherman were hoping for a break in the weather - praying that it would _cool_ down !!! It is currently 43degrees !
After changing the 4 tyres on the trailer (canvas showing!), and picking up a mobile phone charger (mine is only 240V), we continued the slog east.

Just arrived at Columbia, Tennessee - ready for the start of the trail. From recent reports, it appears that the first 2 days are largely tarmac, and as it would mean travelling a further 500 -odd miles east, we (I) decided to start the trail here.

So, the plan for this evening is to get the bikes out of the trailer, get mine fitted out with the roadbook holder, and enduro computer, and then have a little practice to see if we can meet up with the support truck.

Randon, is driving the support truck, and by all accounts has only just passed his driving test in Hawaiii, and has only been living in America for 4 weeks - so is about as familiar as I am with the American road networks !! So the plan this evening is to se a couple of test waypoints, and we'll travel on the trail, whilst Randon travels on the tarmac, and see of we can meet up !!!

Fingers Crossed...

1 comment:

  1. Yo Rusty! Have a good trip. I've got you on my RSS reader. Look forward to seeing updates.

    ReplyDelete